Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2001 19:11:26 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        schilling@fokus.gmd.de, ken@kdm.org, mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: Problems reading burned CDs (one problem solved)

On Tuesday, 3rd July 2001, Stephen McKay wrote:

>>>I have a multisession Joliet CDROM that is
>>>completely unreadable on FreeBSD (mount reports cd9660: /dev/acd0c:
>>>Invalid argument).  It has one more track than it has sessions.  The
>>>extra track is between the others, and is 63 seconds long.  It reads
>>>perfectly on Win98.

>The same hardware running Win98 will read the CD that FreeBSD won't read.
>I have other multisession CDs made with the same method on the same
>system.  FreeBSD reads them all properly.  It is quite puzzling.

Tony Maher <tonym@angis.org.au> pointed out the -s flag to mount_cd9660.
With that, I was able to mount the CD and read all the files.  Here's how:

# cdcontrol -f acd0
Compact Disc Control utility, version 2.0
Type `?' for command list

cdcontrol> info
Starting track = 1, ending track = 3, TOC size = 34 bytes
track     start  duration   block  length   type
    1   0:02.00  10:59.64       0   49339   data
    2  10:59.64   1:02.60   49339    4560   data
    3  12:00.49  41:17.24   53899  185649   data
  170  53:15.73         -  239548       -      -

cdcontrol> quit
# mount_cd9660 -s 49339 /dev/acd0c /mnt
# df /mnt
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/acd0c     478792   478792        0   100%    /mnt
#

In other words, the burner program, for whatever reason, split the
second session into two tracks.  The final track is not an ISO filesystem.
But the 2nd track is the directory for the whole disk.

Presumably Windoze steps backwards through the tracks until it can mount
successfully.  We should to the same.  It should be easy.

Stephen.