Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:21:40 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Mazen S. Alzogbi" <kblists@mazenalzogbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Total newbie: What's after installation?

[cross-posted in attempt to change forums....]

Mazen S. Alzogbi wrote:

>Hi,
>It's my first time using FreeBSD so wish me luck! :)
>
>I installed the OS, logged on as "root" and I have now the prompt in front
>of me, now what? I installed Gnome but the system didn't reboot using the
>Gnome interface.

Luck is heretofore wished!  And, if you've much experience
with other CLI environments, prepare yourself for one that's
rich with possibilities, even without a GUI.  I can read the web,
write docs, e-mail, listen to CD's or mp3, without my GUI if I
wish.  And try 'host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' on that "other system" from
Redmond! (/me grins evilly)

>How can I make it do that?
>
>TIA,
>
>-Mazen

There's been some discussion lately about asking questions
on -newbies instead of -questions.  I'm trying to move your
your message there, also.  But I'll give it a shot.

If you've done your XFree configuration, you might try

$startx

This will process your ~/.xinitrc file, and at the very
least should start the X Window system.

Placing the line:

exec gnome-session

at the end of .xinitrc is one way to start the Gnome
environment.  You can use this file to start anything
you wish when X starts ... other WM's, or specific X
windows programs, including there geometry and
other options....

GDM or any number of other various "DM's"
(display managers) that run under X (kdm, xdm, etc.)
would be another way of getting things going.

I don't use a graphic display manager.  "startx"
from the shell's always been good enough for me.
Or, if you want, you could modify your ~/.login
to run "startx", which in turn would run a Gnome-session
if so ordered by .xinitrc ....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.