Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:04:53 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?

Amancio Hasty:
 |> the situation with voxware is that it will remain in 4.x, but unless a
 |> maintainer comes forward who will convert it to newbus, in -current it will
 |> soon be toast.
 |
 |I can't promise anything specially since I have a new job; nevertheless,
 |before you decide to toast the voxware from current send me mail . If
 |-core decides to toast voxware I will probably pick up the maintainence
 |of voxware from right here were maintainence of voxware used to be. The
 |latter is not a bad idea since it will avoid conflicts between -core and I.

Thanks for volunteering Amancio.  Glad someone with driver-writing
knowledge is going to pitch in.  Along with Brandon, I too will volunteer
to help you test and aid in keeping Voxware in shape, until such time as
sufficient volunteering brings the new development driver up to Voxware's
level of capability.

Cameron Grant:
 |you should be aware that the voxware code will need extensive renovation and
 |conversion to newbus.  already it will not cope with pnp devices, and the
 |compatibility shims it relies on will shortly be gone.
 |
 |in my opinion it would be far better to divert any effort you would be
 |willing to put in towards newpcm.

That sounds fine in the abstract.  But we should be concrete about the
details before we go nixing code.

 - Have we identified exactly what functionality is missing in the new
   sound driver but supported by Voxware?

 - Have we got volunteers with time on their hands signed up to provide
   each piece of this functionality with estimated completion dates?

IMO, the cut-over to PCM should be tied to the last of these completion
dates, revised forward or backward as actual completion dates slip.

Why would we transition any other way?

Randall