Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:05:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, joe@pavilion.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <200001211911.LAA11701@vashon.polstra.com> John Polstra writes:
> : > Can you make cvsup accept multiple servers to try in it's configuration
> : > file?
> :
> : I'll add that to the to-do list.
>
> I have a very crude script that does its own (fixed) round robin of
> multiple servers.  It tries three times fast (yes, I know that's
> likely bad) and then goes to the next one on the list.  If all else
> fails, it will try the first one on the list in "forever" mode (with
> the nice random retries).
>
> I'll have to see about puitting into good shape and posting it.

I would think using a fixed order would be a really bad thing, causing
overload of the first server in line.  Did I misunderstand you?  How about
doing a script (say in perl, it has random numbers) that randomly picks
the server from a list? That way, the list could even be weighted, so as
to allow for greater or lesser machine resources (like net access).

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.