Date:      Sat, 05 Dec 1998 22:48:12 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing boot?

> As Mike Smith wrote...

> > > Hmmmm. OK, over to Mike at this point - I thought it was supposed
> > > to find /mfsroot.gz automagically but evidently that's now broken.
> > > Sure would be nice if we could just work out whether it's going to
> > > be "magic" or not and just stick to it. :)
> >
> > Make sure that you're using an up-to-date /boot/loader, and then try
> > 'ls' on the floppy in question please.
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> /boot/loader is approx 2 days old, built from -current. Is that new enough?

Yes.

> I get:
>
> FreeBSD/alpha SRM disk boot, Revision
> (jkh@beast.cdrom.com, Wed Nov 25 16:13:25 GMT 1998)
> Memory: 32768 k
> /kernel data=0x1e3f40+0x26918 syms=[0x8+0x3f210+0x8+0x25192]
> Please insert MFS root floppy and press enter:
>
> load: can't find '/mfsroot'
>
> Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
> Booting [kernel] in 8 seconds...
>
> Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
> disk0a:> ls
> ls: open '/' failed: no such file or directory

Ok, this problem.

> disk0a:>
>
> /mfsroot.gz is on the floppy, on an UFS filesystem written by FreeBSD/x86:

Yes; there's some problem with floppy filesystems that I haven't been
able to work out yet.  Make a second copy of the kern.flp, delete the
files off it and put the mfsroot.gz file on there instead.  For some
reason that seems to work OK.

> Stupid question: can FreeBSD/axp read FreeBSD/x86 UFS filesystems at all?
> UFS was not designed for portability in this respect if I'm not mistaken.

It *should* be able to, but no guarantees.