Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2014 01:40:52 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Andrew Berg <aberg010@my.hennepintech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd-update to 9.3 from 9.2

On 17 July 2014, at 22:58, Andrew Berg <aberg010@my.hennepintech.edu> =
wrote:

> On 2014.07.18 00:11, Doug Hardie wrote:
>> I have a system that has been running 9.2.  To get it to 9.3 I did =
the usual freebsd-update approach.  Everything appeared to go fine.  =
When the process completed, uname -a showed 9.3.  Since I need a custom =
kernel for this system and src is on the system, I then went and did a =
buildworld and buildkernel.  After booting the new kernel, uname -a now =
shows 9.2 P10.  I know that there were updates to the src files since =
freebsd-update listed a bunch of them and the previous kernel was =
9.2-P8.  So, what system do I have?  Is this an issue with the version =
not showing correctly, or did the src directory not get updated =
properly?
> /usr/src still had 9.2 (and BTW, building world is not necessary for a =
custom
> kernel). I'm not surprised that freebsd-update didn't update source to =
9.3
> since it's on a different branch, but it sounds like freebsd-update =
updated
> source to the latest version of RELENG for 9.2 even though you told it =
> update to 9.3. If that is the case, it's a bug and you should file a =
PR.

This gets even more interesting.  Unfortunately I do need to makeworld =
as sendmail needs SMTP-AUTH and that requires a rebuild.  Freebsd-update =
replaces the previous build with one without it.  However, I did keep =
the logs from both buildworld and buildkernel.  Embedded in both of them =
is VERSION=3D"FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE i386 902001.  I seem to recall that =
uname gets its info from motd which shows:

FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p10 (LAFN) #0: Wed Jul 16 22:26:22 PDT 2014

That is the date/time when I did the buildworld/buildkernel.  =
kern.osrelease and kern.version show the same thing.  So, now I don't =
know if I am running 9.2, 9.3, or a 9.2 kernel and 9.3 world.  There =
must be some way to tell.=