Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:13:56 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Juan E Navarro <jnavarro@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with fxp driver

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 08:02:17PM -0600, Juan E Navarro wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Initialization goes fine:
> fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> port 0x1000-0x103f mem
> 0xfdf00000-0xfdffffff,0xfddef000-0xfddeffff irq 44 at device 5.0 on pci0
> fxp0: Ethernet address 00:d0:b7:f9:f7:e2

There should be two more related lines:

inphy0: <i82555 10/100 media interface> on miibus0
inphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

or something along those lines.

> And "ifconfig fxp0 inet <ip-number>" also reports no errors. The driver
> even reliably detects whether the network is active or there is no
> carrier.
>
> So far, so good... but that's it. I can't ping anyone in the local net,
> and noone sees me. I'm alone, isolated and depressed!

Odd. I looks to me the hardware does work fine under FreeBSD,
but that the network settings are incomplete or wrong. Check
if you have DHCP on your network and if so, try that...

> Has anyone experienced this problem in an Itanium box?

No.

> Any workaround?

No.

> Will I be better off with a different NIC?

I doubt it. Make sure you have a default route configured and that
your netmask is ok. If that fails, try setting the media type by
hand to see if that makes any difference.

Since Windows works, try to get as much info from Windows as you
can.