Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:05:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      K Welg <kwelg@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Can't print with lpd

I am in the process of setting up FreeBSD 4.4 on a
Windows machine.  I have gotten through most of the
basic install okay.  However, I am having problems
setting it up to print to my printer.

I went through the process in the FreeBSD handbook for
setting up a printer.  However when I do the basic
test:
# lptest 20 5 | lpr

I get:
lpr: lp: unknown printer

I am able to send print directly to /dev/lpt0.

I set up my /etc/printcap file.  The active part is:

lp|lpt0|lazer0|Okidata OL610:\r
        :sh:\r

:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/lpt0:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

I have set up the spool directory for lpt0 and set the
owner and mod for it:

# ls -l /var/spool/output/lpd
total 1
drwxrwx---  2 daemon  daemon  512 Oct 24 22:22 lpt0

I have modified syslog.conf to log all printer
messages/errors:

#lpr.info
/var/log/lpd-errs
lpr.*
/var/log/lpd-all

These are now showing up in /var/log/lpd-all.
However, all I get is a single line each time lpd
starts up:

Oct 30 22:02:28 ipsvr11 lpd[304]: lpd startup:
logging=0

I have added the line:
lpd_enable="YES"
to /etc/rc.conf.

However, whenever I try lpr, using the default printer
or any of the aliases, I only get the "unknown
printer" message.

I have not been able to find a solution for this and
would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Kwelg