Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:56:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        NuClEaR <admin@dioxynet.org>
Cc:        ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG, adoyle@viewsnet.com
Subject:   Re: 2ips on same interface whit natd and ipfw

> hi,
> im a big probleme im 2 ip on same interface, or after
> ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ed1
> is loader i connect bind on my 2e ip ... juste 1ip werk
> and ping to 2th ip ping reply is from 1st ip ...

Loosely translated:

I'm having a big problem.  I have two IP addresses on the same interface,
and outgoing connections are sourced from the first defined IP address.

First of all, use English.  It's a wonderful language, even with all of
it's stupidities.  No English?  Try Pig Latin.  No Pig Latin?  Try any of
the other proper languages that aren't meant to make people look "cool",
not ones that end up making people look "$+up1d".  This is a
professional-quality mailing list, and (in my opinion), we'd appreciate
professional-quality questions.

Second, an answer:

If I'm understanding(?) your problem correctly, you're using the "ifconfig
alias" command to add a second IP address to a network card.  This is
primarily used to make an interface respond to an additional IP address.
This is really meant to handle incoming connections, not outgoing.  if you
try to telnet/ping/whatever to the second IP address, the interface should
respond, but any outgoing connections will use the primary IP address.

Fix:  Either install a second network card with the second IP address and
set up the routing tables correctly, or tell us what you're actually
having problems with in some manner that makes sense.

--mike

(BTW: My "language comments" are coming from the viewpoint of someone who
used the "version 1.0" of that "language" WAY back when...  Things get out
of hand pretty easily in this world...)