Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 22:36:55 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        j_mini@efn.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: character-set information for terminals.

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> stands accused of saying:
> >   Does anybody know how you determine what font/character-set a given TTY is
> > using?  AFAICT, it is contained in the termcap database, but on examination,
> > I can't find any immediatly obvious way to determining this.
>
> It's in the user's environment with the "TERM" environment variable;
> it's the variable that start with "LC_" and "LOCALE"... 8-).

  Hmmm... hate to say it, Terry, but I can't find any systems with a LC_*
or LOCALE environment variable on it normally -- I could set one
explicitly, but this doesn't help me any for auto-detection.

--
Jonathan Mini
(j_mini@efn.org)

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."