Date:      Thu, 18 May 2006 12:04:49 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.d/compat5x running too late

Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> upgraded one of the machines I administer from 5.4 to 6.1, made sure the
> compat5x package is installed and compat5x_enable=YES set in rc.conf.

If you've installed the compat5x port to avoid having to rebuild your ports,
that is (as you've discovered) not the best strategy. Your best bet is to
rebuild your ports, as you will not only pick up library updates, but also
new startup scripts that will take account of the fact that 6.1 has the
local_startup modifications to rc.d. Also, make sure that when you deinstall
your ports that /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ does not contain any old startup
scripts, or symlinks to old scripts.

hope this helps,

Doug