Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:15:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on 2.2.6 upgrade

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> > Sure it does.  There is a well established historical precedent
> > of supplying MAKEDEV with the name and unit of a disk-like
> > device, either physical or logical, to create partitions a-h
> > logically contained within that device.  Maybe I'm just whacked,
> > but a slice sure seems like a disk-like device to me.
>
> But it's not.  The 'historical precedence' changed at FreeBSD 2.0, so
> I'd say there's a long historical precedence for *NOT* behaving this
> way. :)

Hmm... Just pulled out a FreeBSD 1.1 CDROM and a "MAKEDEV sd1"
makes all partions a-h under sd1.  I think my historical
precedence point remains intact.  Or at least the point I had in
mind does; you may well have read something slightly different--I
make no claims as to the clarity of my prose.

> > MAKEDEV sd1 creates sd1[a-h].  A well established behavior.
>
> I would argue that it shouldn't now.  It should only create the
> partitions if you give it:
>
> MAKEDEV sd1a

I won't disagree here at all, I'd just like to see a bit of
consistency and documentation.  Which way it goes, I really don't
care.

I'll even contribute some patches if I get a chance.

-john