Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 2008 11:03:33 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad 3.0GHz: can anybody verify?

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 07:18:13PM -0700, Kurt Buff wrote:
> I got a Thinkpad T61 back in May/June that had 4gig factory-installed.
> Dual core, but only 2.2GHz - I could've gotten a faster proc, but I
> wasn't willing to pay the price. I did splurge on a 120gbyte 7200rpm
> drive, though. Came with SUSE on it, too, but I've got it dual booting
> with FreeBSD 7 amd64. Works great, except that the native FireFox and
> all other web browsers I've tried crash (no core, nothing, it just
> disappears) on the javascript on a lot of web sites, including gmail.
> Haven't had the time to pursue that one very much, though I've asked
> on this list a few times.

	Dumb-question-dept:: is the "dual-core 2.2GHz == 4.4GHz" single
	processor? I just bought my daughter a MacBook dual-core 2.4 and
	have been wondering.  --Also, time to get her hooked on Unix:)

	I'm not sure what model these 3.0GHz is; but IBM cheaped out on
	the memory (256-512M) and they're all 40-60G max drive.  So just
	wondering how far these used laptops can go.  Since I'll be
	running 7.1 or Ubuntu, no need for **super** fast.

	You browsers crashes are curious.  FF-2 crashed consistantly here
	on my Dell, 7.0.  The others: no problem.  FF3 seems to work fine
	except that I'm having troublr with flash.  (I've tried both
	native anf the linux-fixefox. same thing.  gdb cannot grok the
	core dumps, so rather than waste time, I just KVM over to my
	Ubuntu system.)

	gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix