Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:50:15 -0500
From:      Eric Crist <mnslinky@gmail.com>
To:        Laszlo Nagy <gandalf@shopzeus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
Subject:   Re: Share folder over internet

On Aug 16, 2007, at 2:37 PMAug 16, 2007, Laszlo Nagy wrote:

>> You need to create a VPN connection between your two offices.  You
>> can do this in a variety of ways, but probably the best solution
>> would be to have static IP's for both offices and a router that
>> has hardware support for VPNs at each office.  You can connect the
>> two offices via a VPN connection from router to router.
> Well, we do not have static IP addresses, and the routers does not
> support VPN. Also I do not like the idea of VPN because I feel that
> would forward more packets than needed. I may be wrong. :-)
>
> Although we do not have static IP, we have DDNS. Is it possible to
> do VPN from one FreeBSD box to another and then.... what? Mount
> nfs? Mount smb? I can mount a remote smb volume then share it with
> another smb server, but it looks wreid to me and I'm also concerned
> about speed. I believe smb is not optimized for speed. If I have to
> use VPN then I would like to use the most traffic-efficient method
> over VPN. Can you suggest something?
>
> Thanks,
>
>   Laszlo

Properly set up, the two office could appear as if they were local,
only hindered by the speed of your internet connections.  IMHO, a VPN
is really the only way to go.  Across that, you can use any method
you'd prefer, NFS, smb, etc.

Take a look at OpenVPN for more information.  It's in the ports, and
relatively easy to set up.
-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks