Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:46:33 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <Michael.Collette@TestEquity.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS Locking Issue

This last week I had been working on a test network to test out 6.1
prior to upgrading our production boxes from 5.4.  That's when I ran
across the rpc.lockd issues that have been discussed earlier.

Our production setup has diskless clients running KDE, which due to this
bug is now dead on 6.1.  I also have my mail server delivering messages
to a file server via NFS.  I even have servers booting diskless with NFS
provided file systems... all of which are dead on 6.1.

The last discussion our bug updates I've seen on this issue were about 3
months ago.  This leaves me with a number of questions I hope can be
answered here on this list.

Is NFS a big deal for most other users, or am I out here on the fringe
using it as much as I do?

Is anyone working on a fix for this?  If so, is there any kind of time
frame where this fix might be MFC'd to 6-STABLE?

I guess I'm still just a bit stunned that a bug this obvious not only
found it's way into the STABLE branch, but is still there.  Maybe it's
not as obvious as I think, or not many folks are using it?  All I know
for sure here is that if I had upgraded to 6.1 my network would have
been crippled.

Later on,
--
Michael Collette