Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2008 20:19:29 +0100
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl-5.10.0 in FBSD-7.0

Gerard wrote:
> I have not been able to find any information in regards to the latest
> version of Perl, version 5.10.0, released in December.
>
> 1) When will this version be available in the ports system?

After 7.0 is released.

> 2) Will FreeBSD-7.0 use this as the default Perl version?

Not as it will be shipped, but users can upgrade to it later.  I was
going to say "easily upgrade", but that might turn out to be a lie :)

Historically, new versions of perl are a recipe for large amounts of
pain because of all the old perl code that stops working.  It would be
completely irresponsible to attempt that update prior to the release
(and moreover, the packages are already finalized for 7.0 anyway, modulo
security updates).

Kris