Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:47:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        John Derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: installing XWindows

Doug White writes:

 > > > Did I see this already?
 > >
 > > Yes.
 >
 > Aagghghghhhh..... ;)
 >

 > > > I've been debugging X problems and have all the
 > > > threads mixed up :-(
 > >
 > > No worries.
 > >
 > > > How are you starting X?
 > >
 > > I just type 'startx' with no options/arguments. I'm logged in as root; using tcsh shell.
 > >
 > > > The problem is that your X server is crashing
 > > > before the clients get started.  Error 61 is Connection Refused, so some
 > > > daemon (xdm?) isn't getting started.
 >
 > I'd suggest reinstalling X and make sure you pick up all the essentials
 > and go through XF86Setup or xf86config throughly.

Doug ... a search through the archives will reveal a mail originating
from Doug White saying something like " ... reinstalling is for
M$-things. FreeBSD is not a M$-thing so reinstalling is in most cases
not needed ...". When reading your mail i though to myself:
"YES !!! Very true."

John, if your X-installation went without any errors and problems,
we should be able to get it going:

/usr/include/errno.h:
#define ECONNREFUSED    61              /* Connection refused */

So, is there a X-server running and what are the permissions on
that server ?

neuron:~$ ls -al /usr/X11/bin/XF86_Mach64
-rws--x--x  1 root  wheel  1748992 20 Jul 22:32 /usr/X11/bin/XF86_Mach64*
neuron:~$

What are the permissions on your server ?

Malte.