Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 22:53:46 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.ca>
Cc:        karsten@rohrbach.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic #3 (ffs) (MegaRAID)

> At 08:30 PM 2/23/00 +0100, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:
> >which megaraid adapter do you use in this box (hw, fw ver, bios ver,
> >cntl-m ver)...
> >
> >i've seen those panics on our old news box when there where errors on
> >the scsi busses which did not get detected properly. mainly termination
> >issues *sigh*
>
> I dont think its necessarily a termination issue.  I have swapped the exact
> same chain onto a Mylex DAC960 and can pound the box without issue.  I have
> a nasty feeling my 466 might not like my MB chipset.  I am using a 466
> PERC2/SC on BX chipset ECS MB and its throwing all sorts of fits.  When I
> used a 428 on another box (a plain old Pentium), I didnt have nearly this
> many problems. Soon as my co-worker is finished with the older Pentium, I
> can test this theory to see if this is the case.  Looking at the release
> notes for the BIOS revs at AMI, it seems older BIOS revs might have
> problems with newer MBs
>
> >From ftp://ftp.megatrends.com/MegaRAID/drivers/466/readme-gh6d.txt
> >Changes in this release:
> >-----------------------
> >1. CTRL-M is not invoked until after the system BIOS is completed
> >   on newer systems that support PMM (POST Memory Management).
> >   The system would hang at different places in CTRL-M on these
> >   systems prior to these changes.
>
> Until I flashed it to this new rev, I was seeing this behaviour.

Just to reiterate; I can reliably hang the 466 running with this firmware
within a few minutes under the 'amr' driver, while the Dell 3.00 firmware
doesn't demonstrate the config-time hangs on any system I've run it on
and is also not susceptible to the hang problems.

I've been a little distracted with various Mylex-related issues for a
little bit now, and am still waiting for some response from AMI before
returning to work on these problems.  I'm also in need of a more or less
permanent loan of a 434 or 438 (preferably) controller as all I have
right now are 418/428/466 and Karsten's been reporting issues with all of
the 438's firmware.