Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:38:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        neigaard@e-box.dk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended partitions for a 20 GB disk

Hi,

> I have gotten a new old server. The default patitions only leaves
> 128MB for '/', is that not a little to little?

It really depends on how you divide things up.
For reasons of management and backup convenience, on a bunch of servers
we manage, we do not make separate partitions for /usr  or /var (but we
move /var/spool and /usr/local somewhere else with room to expand).
So, on those machines we need a little more than a 256 MB root partition.
But, on other machines as some have pointed out, they get by with even
less than 128 MB.

On today's giant disks it is not unreasonable to have a 256MB root although
some people think you get better disk access times making it smaller.
Someone more intimately familiar with physical disk and controller
design and implementation could respond to that better than I.

Anyway, the main answer is that it really depends on how you chop things up.

////jerry