Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 19:34:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        kimc@w8hd.org (Kim Culhan)
Cc:        karl@Mcs.Net, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What gives here folks?

> On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> > Ok, now I should be able to build these things, right?  First has to be the
> > X11 distribution, since I didn't load it originally.  So now I do this:
> >
> > cd x11
> > make XFree86
> >
> > And, after a few hours of grabbing the files from all over tarnation, the
> > checksums pass (whew!), it asks me which servers to build and then:
> >
> > rm -f AuGetBest.c
> > ln -s ../../lib/Xau/AuGetBest.c AuGetBest.c
> > rm -f AuFileName.c
> > ln -s ../../lib/Xau/AuFileName.c AuFileName.c
> > rm -f AuRead.c
> > ln -s ../../lib/Xau/AuRead.c AuRead.c
> > rm -f Wrap.h
> > ln -s ../../lib/Xdmcp/Wrap.h Wrap.h
> > rm -f Wrap.c
> > ln -s ../../lib/Xdmcp/Wrap.c Wrap.c
> > make: don't know how to make ../../lib/Xdmcp/Wraphelp.c. Stop
> > *** Error code 2
>
> [deleted]
>
> > There's files missing in the distribution?!  Now what?
>
> If you read the messages carefully when prompted for servers etc, you'll
> notice at some point it mentions about the lack of this file due to laws
> regarding the distribution of crypto.

Actually, if the screen stopped long enough for me to SEE THEM, I would
have.

There's no obvious reference to this.  Other parts of the ports tree want
you to set an environment variable to indicate that you are in the US or not
in the US as appropriate.  This appears to be far, far more user-friendly
than what the X11 source does in this case.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1]     | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!