Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:09:42 +0530
From:      "sumanth vidyadhara" <sumanth.vidyadhara@wipro.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How to add a multicast address also how to load the driver at boot time

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

------=_NextPart_000_0159_01C11484.F55E4880

Hi All,
   We have written a driver for gigabit ethernet card.
We seem to have some issues they are.
1. How do we add a muticast address, is there any application which can =
generate a set of multicast address which can be added to the driver.

2. How do  we load the driver at boot time.
 we figured out two ways one is put in /usr/src/sys/pci and then rebuild =
the kernel.
Since the previous procedure was not the requirement for our client so =
the other approach was put the driver in rc.local call kldload here.
Other than the above mentioned approaches is there any other way to load =
the nic card driver at boot time.
=20
3.Also is there any test suite to test the  network card driver =
functionality.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Sumanth

------=_NextPart_000_0159_01C11484.F55E4880

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; We&nbsp;have written a =
driver for=20
gigabit ethernet card.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We seem to have some issues they =
are.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1.</FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&nbsp;How do we=20
add a muticast address, is there any application which can generate a =
set of=20
multicast address </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>which can be added =
to the=20
driver.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2. How do&nbsp; we load the driver at =
boot=20
time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;we figured out two ways one is =
put in=20
/usr/src/sys/pci and then rebuild the kernel.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Since the previous procedure was not =
the=20
requirement for our client so the other approach was put the driver in =
rc.local=20
call kldload here.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Other than the above mentioned =
approaches is there=20
any other way to load the nic card driver at boot time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3.Also is there any test suite =
to&nbsp;test the =20
network card driver functionality.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any help is greatly =
appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sumanth</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0159_01C11484.F55E4880--

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

The Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to
Wipro Limited and is intended for  use only by the individual or entity to which
it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If this is a forwarded message,
the content of this E-MAIL may not have been sent with the authority of the
Company. If you are not the intended recipient, an agent of the intended
recipient or a  person responsible for delivering the information to the named
recipient,  you are notified that any use, distribution, transmission, printing,
copying or dissemination of this information in any way or in any manner is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
delete this mail & notify us immediately at mailadmin@wipro.com