Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:11:08 +0100
From:      Tim Bishop <tim-lists@bishnet.net>
To:        Daniel Johansson <donnex@donnex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I submit a update to a port?

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:55:28PM +0200, Daniel Johansson wrote:
> Hi, I am a very new port-maker, got my first port in the portstree yesterday
> :) /usr/ports/sysutils/pwsafe/

Welcome :-)

> Anyway what I would like to know is how you do if you want to submit a update
> for a already existing port. I want to submit a update to the bitlebee-port
> but I didn't change much, only the version and make makesum so do I submit a
> diff of Makefile and distinfo or should I mail the maintainer so that he
> updates the port?

I usually submit a PR with the changes, and CC the maintainer at the
same time. They can either approve my changes, or submit/commit their
own.

If you mail them directly they have to submit the changes themselves,
and it's not already logged as a PR. Arguably it's more work for the
maintainer that way, but some may prefer it.

If you use porttools it'll submit a PR and CC the maintainer...

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Tim Bishop