Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 06:50:42 -0400
From:      Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: troublesome log messages

Quoting Andy Farkas                                Wednesday, July 26, 2000

Thanks for your quick response Andy. Now I have a few more questions.

/snippage/

>  # dd if=/dev/wd0s1c of=/dev/null bs=64k

The disk on that system are laid out like:

$ mount
/dev/wd0a on / (local)
/dev/wd0s1e on /tmp (local)

Will the slices interfere with the dd command? This is a production
machine so I don't want to take any chances.

> which will try and read your entire disk (assuming your disk is wd0).

>> > 28507083 copy-on-write faults
>> >     2168 intransit blocking page faults
>> > 70344615 total VM faults taken

/snippage/

> Looks like your system has been running for a while :-)

$ uptime
 6:41AM  up 28 days,  8:42, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

Is this an acceptable uptime for that number of vm "faults"? Sure it's
longer than I've ever managed to get an M$ product to run, but it
doesn't even come close to some of the uptimes I've had on other
systems...

/snippage/

--Ben Williams
mailto:received@email dot com