Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:41:55 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC-Card broken: 4.4-RC4 & Dell Latitude C600

In message <3B9D0A4C.2090203@isi.edu> Lars Eggert writes:
: I've installed 4.4-RC4 on a new Dell Latitude C600, and PC-cards aren't
: working. Following the (extensive) thread about this earlier, I'm still
: confused as to which settings could fix this.

The Latitude c600 fixes might not have made it into RC4, so I'd try
something newer.  At least I think the latitude uses the TI-1130.  If
it is the dmesg below, then the TI-1130 fixes are relevant.

: Problem: Any card I insert is probed twice!

I fixed this *AFTER* 4.4RC-4.  The message should be benign, but there
is anecdotal evidence that it isn't...

: For example, I insert a
: Linksys PCMPC100 card, it is probed correctly as ed0 ("ed0 at port
: 0x300-0x31f irq 11 slot 1 on pccard1"). A few seconds later, I get a
: second probe message ("ed1 at port 0x320-0x33f irq 11 slot 1 on
: pccard1") for the same card, and the machine freezes up.

Wow!  It shouldn't do that.  I'd try the latest -stable to see if it
still happens.

: With the new PC-card code, is listing of available interrupts in
: /etc/pccard.conf still required?

Only if you specifically set intr_path to 1.  Otherwise, the system
just deals for you.

: pcic0: <TI PCI-1420 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 11 at device 3.0 on pci0
: pcic0: PCI Memory allocated: 0x44000000
: pcic0: TI12XX PCI Config Reg: [ring enable][speaker enable][CSC serial isa irq]
: pccard0: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0

This should work with PCI interrupts.  I've not seen any laptops that
have an interrupt routed to the pci slot like you have that don't
work.  Most of the problems with PCI interrupts are with interrupt
routing when the BIOS doesn't assign it on boot.

Warner