Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:03:15 -0500
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, gderama@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Compatible SATA controllers?

On Wednesday 01 November 2006 22:20, Gene Dinkey wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 6.0 Release and am looking for a compatible 32bit PCI
> SATA controller.  I don't need, and can't afford, a hardware RAID solution
> so I'm planing on building my storage on vinum.  I checked
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/hardware-i386.html for compatible
> controllers but from what I can see all that is supported are SATA RAID
> controllers.
>
> Does anyone know of a SATA controller or chipset that is known to work
> fairly well with FreeBSD (even if not officially supported)?

Most SATA controllers/chipsets I've encountered are supported. I've had good
luck with VIA and SiS controllers. Promise is definitely good if they have
anything in your price range. Just don't buy anything from Silicon Image if
you value your data.

The ata(4) manpage has a more complete list of supported controllers than the
release notes does.

JN