Date:      Sat, 1 Oct 2005 02:01:58 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Richard Loken <richardlo@admin.athabascau.ca>
Cc:        ticso@cicely.de, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PC164 and the KZPAC raid controller

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 05:31:46PM -0700, Richard Loken wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Bernd Walter wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 04:19:02PM -0700, Richard Loken wrote:
> > > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > > way there.  Any thoughts on VGA cards?  I would like to get rid of this
> > > Matrox Millenium that the PC164 SRM is so fond of.
>
> > What's wrong with Millenium cards?
> > They are still great for desktop use and servers don't need graphic
> > anyway.
>
> This server is my desktop at home and the Millenium only has 2 Mbyte of
> memory and X11 has some strong opinions on how many bits of colour and how
> much resolution he will provide me with that setup...  I could scarf the
> Oxygen out of the 4100 here at work - that guy IS a server and he doesn't
> need that much video card.  Alas, I find that managers grow restless when
> I knock down the servers (much less steal their video cards).

OK - 2M is not much.
That an ISA ET4000 always worked for me is not much of help, I think.
Maybe a G450 or S3 will work, but can't say for shure.
I would say try out what you have and if you have to buy a card then
try getting a used Millenium with 4 or 8M.

> If I put in an Oxygen I can run VMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But who wants this if one can run FreeBSD :)
The PC164 is very well supported, the only drawback is the interrupt
PAL, which has problems masking interrupts, therefor we currently
raise the CPU IPL as a workaround.
As a result you'll see additional interrupt latency on higher interrupt
load.
Unfortunately both of my PC164 are production machines and I can't
analyse the PAL.

bernd@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de