Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:07:40 -0500
From:      Phil Rosenthal <pr@isprime.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: >2GB Bugs still exist in FreeBSD 4.9 ?

On Feb 23, 2004, at 9:00 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I build all my systems with the following in make.conf:
>
> CFLAGS= -O -mpentium -pipe -g -DKVA_PAGES=512
> COPTFLAGS= -O -mpentium -pipe -DKVA_PAGES=512
>
> and the following in my kernel config file:
>
> options         VM_KMEM_SIZE="(400*1024*1024)"
> options         VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX="(400*1024*1024)"
>
> I don't know if that will correct your problem, but the above was after
> having oddles of problems with 4GB servers and *alot* of processes
> running

I tried raising KVA_PAGES to 512 a couple of hours ago, as the panic
seemed to suggest running out of KVA, and it seems to have resolved it.

I haven't touched the VM_KMEM_SIZE/VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX options, however.
Reading the LINT notes, this seems unrelated... Are you sure that's a
necessary change?

Also, for the maintainer of "man tuning", perhaps KVA_PAGES should be
documented as servers with >2GB of ram are only becoming more popular
-- hell, I have 3.5GB of ram in my workstation nowadays...

--Phil Rosenthal
ISPrime, Inc.