Date:      Fri, 12 May 95 10:30:28 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (Frank Durda IV)
Subject:   Re: Taylor UUCP and flow control

] That reminds me.  Taylor UUCP 1.04 and 1.05 both deliberatly disable
] hardware flow control (-crtscts) when it is running.   You have to change
] the UUCP source (as far as I know) to get hardware flow control to remain
] on.  This happens for incoming and outgoing UUCP sessions.

This is because most systems don't handle CTS/RTS correctly prior to DCD
being raised on outgoing calls, and act wierd if DCD is lost while CTS
or RTS has been deasserted.

] This is the patch I use:

[ ... patch elided ... ]

] The above patch forces hardware full-duplex RTS/CTS flow control on during
] inbound and outbound UUCP sessions.
]
] I have to reapply this patch every time I upgrade my FreeBSD systems.

I'd be more comfortable if this patch became active only as a command
line option whose default was off.  This would also make it more likely
to be included in the main line so that BSD doesn't have to carry it
around on a vendor branch.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---