Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:09:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Joe Davida <jd@slip129-37-223-73.ca.us.ibm.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot from 2nd disk

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Joe Davida wrote:

> 	A few weeks ago, I could boot freebsd either from the
> 	ide drive or the scsi drive. But that was before my ASUS
> 	motherboard died and had to purchase another one.

That's too bad :(, I really enjoy my ASUS.

> 	Since I changed my motherboard from an ASUS XP55T2P4 (which
> 	has been returned to ASUS for repair), to an AIR P5TXI,
> 	I have not been able to boot from my 2nd drive which is
> 	a seagate SCSI-2 drive. The first drive is a Fujitsu
> 	2.5 gig ide drive. The ide drive has windows 95 and freebsd
> 	partitions, and I can boot either (off of the ide, via
> 	the booter).
> 	However, I am unable to boot from the SCSI drive.
> 	This is something new (since I changed the motherboard).

The AWARD BIOS on the ASUS is smart about SCSI.  You can set an option in
there to scan the SCSI bus for bootable disks first, which you probably
had set.  It also has the BIOS for the NCR 53c810 SCSI cards built-in.  If
the AIR doesn't have an award you are in a sticky spot.

> 	Error: D:0x81  C:0  H:0 S:0

0x81 is the second BIOS boot drive.  For some reason it couldn't read that
particular drive.  What kind of SCSi controller is this?  Does it come up
with a boot message, ie does it have a BIOS?

I'm thinking that the BIOS on your AIR is too stupid to boot the SCSI
disk, or your SCSI controller isn't hooking the BIOS properly to configure
your disk as a boot device.