Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2010 01:01:42 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Tim Dunphy <bluethundr@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't add entries to fsab

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 18:47:58 -0400, Tim Dunphy <bluethundr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I am having some trouble adding entries to /etc/fstab.. what happens
> to work under CentOS does not under FreeBSD!! no surprise there, I
> suppose.. heh
>

>  I have nfs_client_enable="YES" in my /etc/rc.conf
>
>  Yet if I add even one line such as
>
>  nas2.summitnhome.com:/mnt/home   /home    nfs rw  0   0
>
> the system refuses to boot normally and I have to add the path to
> /bin//sh manually each time

That is normal and intended. Instead of "just proceeding",
maybe causing "filesystem is full" or any kind of access
errors, the system stops when a mandatory mount from fstab
cannot be performed.

> why on Earth can I not add entries to fstab as I do to CentOS??

First, check the mount command itself. If it works, put it into
/etc/fstab. Make sure all requirements are met when the fstab
is being parsed and "executed" - e. g. network has to be up
and running to access files per NFS. See "man fstab" for
details about this file.

If the "pure" mount_nfs (or mount -t nfs) command works, you
can put it into /etc/fstab with the "noauto" option first and
then see if everything works when you do "mount /home" manually.

Then, finally, make the change of "noauto" and let the system
perform the mount at the proper time.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany