Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 01:52:36 -0600
From:      Tim <tim@sleepy.wojomedia.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Taylor Dondich <thexder@lvcm.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail (Was: Maintaining Access Control Lists )

> 	However, this is the real power of the Unix "toolbox" philosophy
> -- you can put the tools together that you want, in most any way you
> want, making the result do just about whatever you want.
> Unfortunately, Dan breaks this philosophy by tightly integrating all
> his tools together, and making it so that they are all
> interdependent.

You are kidding right?  It looks to me that you are completely blinded by
your disdain for Dan.  You don't think Postfix took a lot of design hints
from qmail?  qmail is one of the most modular systems out there.

> For example, you can't use the standard inetd that
> ships with your system, you are instead forced to use his tcpserver.
> And heaven help you if you need to do something that isn't covered by
> his tools, because Dan sure won't.

From the INSTALL file on a qmail-1.03 distribution

16. Set up qmail-smtpd in /etc/inetd.conf (all on one line):
	smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
	tcp-env /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

> because sooner or later I believe that you are either going to need
> to do something that Dan does not consider to be important, or you
> are going to run afoul of personality issues with him yourself --
> either way, you will then be out in the cold.

the qmail user community is more than sufficient for support.

I like Postfix myself, but you are so blatantly biased I am not sure you
are any better than what you are accusing Dan of.

Tim