Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:40:55 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3com AirConnect (was Re: Addtron wireless awp-100 )

| > Bill Paul gutted one at the 'con.  It contains a Harris chip, but there's
| > no sign of the AMD part.  I'm not sure whether that's because it's
| > embedded in the Harris part, or whether there's something else funky
| > going on.  If there's Linux support for it, we might be able to learn
| > something from that.  At any rate, Warner has the card now.

| There are only a few people that make 802.11{fh|ds|a} chips:
|
|         802.11-Frequency Hopping 2Mb/s
|                 Raytheon, using their own MAC (chip is made by VLSI) and
|                   discrete RF
|                 Current(ish) cards from Webgear
|
|                 Oki, using the 7730 MAC and typically partnered with an old
|                   Hewlett Packard RF chipset
|                 Current(ish) cards from NDC Comms. InstantWave

This seems like a very military-centric card.  Do you know where
one can get such cards?  How far is the range and how well
does it deal with, say, intentional EMF burns and 802.11 nodes moving at
high speeds?  If this is the case, I am pretty sure that I can get
an "institution" to pay for the cost of developing a driver on FreeBSD.

|         802.11-Direct Sequence 2Mb/s
|                 Harris/Intersil, (Prism) using a variety of MACs e.g. AMD/Atmel
|                 Many vendors using the already mentioned reference designs
|
|                 Lucent using the WaveLan chips (Hermes)
|                 Many vendors using reference designs
|
|         802.11b-Direct Sequence 11Mb/s
|                 Harris/Intersil, (Prism II) ditto above
|
|                 Lucent/Orinoco. ditto above
|
|         802.11a-OFDM 54Mb/s
|                 Radidata and a couple of others have announced chipsets, but
|                 this stuff is not in products yet. Will be v. nice.
|                 Not many MACs announced yet.

In other words, people who use these on their LAPtops may be sterile?