Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:46:35 +0200
From:      "Jonas Lund" <whizzter@gmail.com>
To:        "Jeremy Chadwick" <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Danny Carroll <fbsd@dannysplace.net>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new server motherboard with SATA II

> Fourth, because you'll likely have multiple disks in a ZFS zpool, you
> should probably be aware of the problem that haunts some users from time
> to time (re: DMA errors).
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/ATA_issues_and_troubleshooting

Reading that page i recognized the DMA timeouts from my last disk
crash (Running a small server for various dev work).

Anyhow after this last crash that did turn out a tad expensive(pro
disk recov) i decided to put up a small bit of security by using
raid1. To be able to prepare myself for the inevitable problems i've
setup Raid and SMART monitoring.

Now your wiki says that the disks lie about SMART data (ok ata bashing
is trendy but regarldess), Any info/db about what goes for various
vendors in this regard?

Regards Jonas Lund