Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 20:58:56 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        alk@pobox.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PETSc

On Oct 10, 1998 at 11:22:27AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Friday,  2 October 1998 at 14:37:56 -0500, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
> > On Oct 10, 1998 at 01:53:00PM -0500, Tony Kimball wrote:
> >> from http://www.msc.anl.gov:
> >>
> >> We no longer actively support FreeBSD or the Intel Paragon.. If you
> >> are really need these machines with PETSc and it is important to you,
> >> please send mail to petsc-maint@mcs.anl.gov and we will provide you
> >> with the bmake files. If you currently use FreeBSD, we highly
> >> recommend switching to Linux; we plan to provide strong Linux support
> >> in the future.
> >
> > They also say:
> >
> > 	One must use gnumake, not the freeBSD make. The freeBSD
> > 	make was heavily modified from real make and is essentially
> > 	worthless; it should not even be called make!
> >
> > Showing a certain bias (and ignorance) here, aren't they?
>
> Well, you must be looking at a whole different web.  My DNS can't find
> www.msc.anl.gov, so I tried http://www.mcs.anl.gov.  But there's no
> mention of FreeBSD on that page.

I believe it was http://www.mcs.anl.gov -> software -> petsc -> machines

(sorry, I don't have the url handy right now)

Also, IIRC, BSD make (pmake) took a lot of pains to remain compliant
with "basic" make, so I feel that this was an unwarranted slam.
(Yes, I did send off a note to the maintainers).
--
Jonathan