Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:51:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, kbyanc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious issues with kqueue on sockets on CURRENT.

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Peter, reverting the revisions below *does* fix the problem. Tim has an
> alternative patch, though. At any rate, it seems kbyanc's solution was
> overly simplistic. But things are broken either way, and I'm not sure
> Tim's patch doesn't result in the kind of situation rev 1.134 tried to
> fix, nor if his patch actually gets all cases of the bug that results
> from 1.134.
>
> At any rate, I think that not receiving any event (after 1.134) is worse
> than receiving and event claim to have more bytes than are actually
> available (pre 1.134). It's not just Juli who have this problem.
> AilleCat, for instance, once she heard on irc that kq had a problem,
> tracked the problem *she* was having to the same place.

Yes, this is correct, some events weren't being triggered and now, with
reverting back (with some of the current changes like the aesthetic change
to soo_kqfilter instead of sokqfilter,) now our application that relies
upon kqueue for scheduling runs about twice as fast....

Maxim gave me a patch that accomplishes exactly what I did by hand... but
it also leaves it in a state that it was before 1.134 where there were
some problems that were supposed to be fixed in 1.134 and after... however
IMO its *less* broken :)

Anyway, since my understanding of this is much less than anyone else I'm
inclined to go with whatever solution actually makes the events trigger
for us :)

I'm not a kernel programmer, nor will I ever be, I just know that
reverting uipc_socket.c did solve some major problems I was having :)

-Trish

--
Trish Lynch					   trish@bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish@listmistress.org