Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:26:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
Cc:        "Zuidam, Hans" <Hans.Zuidam@nl.origin-it.com>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: natd question

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Nick Rogness wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Zuidam, Hans wrote:
>
> > I want to set up a test network which (partly) mirrors our production
> > side network. To match reality as close as possible we keep the IP
> > addresses in the test network the same as in the production network.  In
> > order not to run around with tapes between the two networks, I would like
> > to create the following setup:
> >
> >        (~~~~~~~~~~)                                 (~~~~~~~~~~)
> >       (            )          +---------+          (            )
> >      +              +         |         |         +              +
> >     ( 130.144.120/22 ) ------ | FreeBSD | ------ ( 130.144.120/22 )
> >      +    (real)    +         |         |         +    (test)    +
> >       (            )          +---------+          (            )
> >        (~~~~~~~~~~)                                 (~~~~~~~~~~)
>

> 	You can't split 2 identical networks, with identical
> 	netmasks across 2 interfaces unless you are running some sort of
> 	BRIDGE or transparent proxy support. Even then, if you have the
> 	same IP's on both networks you will run into problems with routing
> 	and ARP entries on the FreeBSD machine.
>
> 	If you are looking to connect the 2 networks together, run a
> 	different ip range on the (test) network, like the 10.0.0.0
> 	or 192.168 network. If you are not connecting to the internet then
> 	you will not need to run NATD, just make sure that the
> 	gateway address of the machines on both sides are pointing to the
> 	corresponding FreeBSD interface IP.

How about:

        (~~~~~~~~~~)                                     (~~~~~~~~~~)
     ( 130.144.120/22 ) -- |FreeBSD| ---- |FreeBSD| --( 130.144.120/22 )
      +    (real)    +     |       |      |       |    +    (test)    +

Using 10.0.0.0 on the network in the middle

Brian Beattie            | The only problem with
beattie@aracnet.com      | winning the rat race ...
www.aracnet.com/~beattie | in the end you're still a rat