Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 2009 20:31:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      James Phillips <anti_spam256@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Solved] Having problems burning a DVD

Hello,

After making two coasters with a graphical CD burning program using Ubuntu, I decided to try using FreeBSD: I want to start backing up to DVD anyway.

After some searching I learned I missed some details in the handbook on the first and second reads such as:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html
"The program growisofs(1) will be used to perform DVD recording. This command is part of the dvd+rw-tools utilities (sysutils/dvd+rw-tools). The dvd+rw-tools support all DVD media types."

I had hard time finding the non-existent growisofs package!

"These tools use the SCSI subsystem to access to the devices, therefore the ATAPI/CAM support must be added to your kernel. If your burner uses the USB interface this addition is useless, and you should read the Section 18.5 for more details on USB devices configuration."

Using the atapicd driver generated the following error message:
 :-( unable to CAMGETPASSTHRU for /dev/acd0: Inappropriate ioctl for device

After the command:
$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/acd0=8.0-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso
before you ask:
MD5 (8.0-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso) = 5336cd827991e4d4cff6d73c4a5ca105
Release announcement: 5336cd827991e4d4cff6d73c4a5ca105

I tried playing with /etc/devfs.conf as suggested by Predrag Punosevac
$ id
uid=1002(backup) gid=1002(backup) groups=1002(backup),5(operator),1003(Share)
$ cat /etc/devfs.conf  |sed 's/#.*//g'
link	cd0	cdrom
link	cd0	dvd
link	cd0	rdvd
own	cdrom	root:operator
own	dvd	root:operator
own	rdvd	root:operator
perm	cd0	0660
perm	cdrom	0660
perm	dvd	0660
perm	rdvd	0660
perm	xpt0	0660
perm	pass0	0660
-> that sed command was stolen from a script expecting <CR><lf>
->originally used device acd0 (until enabling atapicam)
$ cat /boot/loader.conf
acpi_load="no"
apm_load="yes"
atapicam_load="yes"
#ata_load="yes"    # enabled by default
scbus_load="yes"
cd_load="yes"
pass_load="yes"
atapicd_load="no"
#hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"  # enabled by default

With the atapicam driver I was able to somehow get growisofs to go through the motions of burning the DVD, even have a kernel message from GEOM reading the BSD label:
$ tail /var/log/messages
Dec  3 20:00:00 dusty newsyslog[833]: logfile turned over due to size>100K
Dec  3 20:00:28 dusty kernel: GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider acd0t01 is iso9660/FreeBSD_Install.

but can't read the disk to verify it:
$ dd if=/dev/cd0 bs=2048 | md5
996592+0 records in
996592+0 records out
2041020416 bytes transferred in 1292.388284 secs (1579263 bytes/sec)
19b087536234b316b64232ba6b1c1799

Umm. Nevermind. I added the block size so nobody would try suggesting it has an effect :P  previous error:
$ dd if=/dev/cd0 | md5
dd: /dev/cd0: Invalid argument
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.000721 secs (0 bytes/sec)
d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

I noticed that the hash does not match the ISO file. Is that normal for DVDs? For CD images I often get the md5 hash to match.

The man page for atapicam(4) warns:
"atapicam and ATAPI-specific target drivers (acd(4), ast(4), and afd(4))
 can be configured in the same kernel.  Simultaneous access to the same
 device through the SCSI generic drivers and the ATAPI-specific drivers
 may cause problems and is strongly discouraged."

Is there anything special I should do to try to disable the atapicd driver? I don't think my 'atapicd_load="no"' line in /boot/loader.conf has much of an effect.

Regards,

James Phillips

http://www.flickr.com/gift/