Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 15:47:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Masaya Kinoshita <mkino@po.iijnet.or.jp>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a perceived need for a 2.1.8 release?

That would probably keep most happy and offer a means for those
without an outside connection. My only thought would be that, if
someone is that concerned with stability, they're not likely to be
using or subscribed to the SNAPS. This may be an image situation, but
one that can be sold.  Probably would require a readme about what has
or has not changed in 2.1.x.

$40 is generally easy enough to get through corporate bean counters,
though a subscription is more difficult because it's open-ended. SNAPS
do offer a way to keep up with the latest bug fixes and CERT plugs and
it is most certainly less costly than Sun or IBM software support.

Also, the only way you're likely to reach the unconnected, is USPS, so the
decision window really extends to the next printing of the catalog.

However provided, I think it's necessary. Corporate minds and those of
us who work for them can be extremely anal about stability. The stable
branch has been what I would take to management as a reliable solution
and would put my neck on the line for the recommendation. (Which I
have done in an AIX shop and have not been disappointed.) I wouldn't
consider doing that for Linux or the other *BSDs.

Personally, I would rather see the update in the formal release in
place of the live file system, but the more I think about it, where it
is really needed, the SNAPS would be a better mechanism.

However you choose, I think it is in Walnut Creek's and FreeBSD's best
interest to keep them available.

Does anyone actually use the live file system?

-- Jay