Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:16:12 -0500
From:      Jamie <jamie@geniegate.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "app store" for open source Unix?

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:27:55PM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Well why can't we have this for open source Unix for desktop users?
>
> I assume all these apps are designed to fit a certain mold, are based on
> a consistent API, maybe using common templates, most have a standard
> interface, etc.

Well, different distributions have different "app stores" they're not
web based (and IMO, hopefully never will be! it's a PAIN to install
stuff like that on remote servers)

I know you're already aware of "ports" so I won't go there.

> I do understand the problem. The open source Unix community is so
> diverse -- so many platforms, so many APIs, so many different developer
> environments, so many opinions, and little money incentive.

For cross platform, there is "pkgsrc" you might look into it, NetBSD,
DragonFlyBSD and rumors... some linux's can use pkgsrc.

We have the technology to do all this, but, not everyone uses a unix
desktop. I for one would be disgusted if I needed a gui or a browser
to install something.

Browsing them is a bit of a hassle, I use 'grep' for that, but I guess
there's something like:

  make search keyword="blah"

(I never use that)

Most of the apps have some kind of URL you can load for more info if you
need it.

I do wish there were a safe way to run the make config-recursive and
have it "really" do it recursively, I wish the build system would test
for a tty and if no tty, go into batch mode, and I wish it'd email me
if it needed more from me.  (and give me the chance to conf later one)

Something like this:

  # echo "cd app/app ; make install clean" | batch

batch runs the install, (I always use batch, it's well suited to this)

Later on, it needs me to specify something, so, it detects no TTY, and
instead sends me an email "Hey, I need some info!" (perhaps with an
email attachment that I can "launch" and mail back) it sits there, in a
frozen state, waiting for info (perhaps reading config from a unique
named pipe)

In any event, it should give me a unique ID (example: 1234) which might
be a named pipe called /tmp/pkg-conf-1235.pipe

Then, (if I can't do it via email), I simply login and run something
like:

 # config-running-port 1234

Which fires up a gadget for me to supply additional info to the package
being built, and things continue... (I suppose this stage could have a
web based gadget, but security would be an issue, one would hope the web
part would be a lower priority... I'd much rather be able to simply
forward the config via email to an alias and have it fed into the pipe
after being verified)

Jamie
--
http://www.geniegate.com                    Custom web programming
Perl * Java * UNIX                        User Management Solutions