Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 1995 13:39:49 -0700
From:      Mark Diekhans <markd@grizzly.com>
To:        gcrutcher@datatrek.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail problems

>I have just connected a laptop via ethernet to my freebsd machine.  I am
>trying to use Eudora to get mail.  I keep getting a connection refused=20
>error message.  I have also tried other mail programs with no luck.  Is=
>=20
>there something that needs to be set on ther server side or in my mail=20
>program that would let me get mail from the server via my laptop mail=20
>program.

While Eudora uses SMTP to talk to sendmail for sending mail, it uses the
POP protocal from retrieving mail from a mailbox on a Unix system.  This
requires a POP server on said unix system.  The most common POP server is
popper, but its buggy, with several version floating around with various
bugs fixed.  I highly recommend the POP server that comes with Mark Crispin's
excellent IMAP package available from

   ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/*

(you probably want the 3.? beta version, which is actually release quality,
not the 4.0 alpha version).

Let me know if you have problems,
mark