Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 12:03:18 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Martin Reemer" <linknull@earthlink.net>
Subject:   Re: Modem reccomendation

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Reemer <linknull@earthlink.net>
To: FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sunday, January 03, 1999 9:18 AM
Subject: Modem reccomendation

<snip>
>One partitioned HD and FreeBSD 2.2.7 later, I discovered exactly what a
>WinModem is. No flames, please, I'm horrified enough at the concept.

As a fellow newbie, I was also dismayed at this concept. Here's another one
I just learned about: On some new low-priced *home* PC's, the video system
shares memory with system RAM. So they advertise a 32MB system with a 4MB
video card, but you really only have 28MB system memory. How's that for
sneaky?

>Can anyone reccomend a decent and possibly inexpensive modem choice for PPP
>in FBSD 2.2.7? Just looking for some guidance re: model and vendor. All
>advice is appreciated.

I use a SupraExpress 56e (about $109 @ PC Connection).  I figured the
absolute best way to avoid any WinModem-type problems is to use an external
modem connected to a serial port, and sure enough, it works great!

--Dan