Date:      Sun, 07 Apr 96 00:50:10 -0500
From:      <jay@map.com>
To:        korty@physics.purdue.edu, "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PAS 16 playing an octave too high

> would rather not discuss :-/).  Now everything I play (.wav files and
> .au files) is one (or perhaps two) octaves too high and twice (or four
> times) as fast.  I'm using the NAS software, which doesn't seem to
> be at fault because "auedit" reports the correct duration of the
> sounds.  I can't get "rplay" to work, so I can't test NAS for certain.
> Also, the sound is fine under DOS (booting from a floppy), so it's not
> the sound card.  It seems that my configuration of the kernel must be

I wish I had a good answer for this one, but I used to have this problem under Linux (various
versions of Slackware and various and uncountable kernel re-compiles.)

When I got FreeBSD 2.0.5 (which I'm still running), I was amazed that wave audio worked.  My only
guess is that the problem has to do with some oddity in the PAS-16 drivers in what-ever kernel
version you've got.

I'll also mention that, as in your case, the card works just fine under DOS (and OS/2.).

Note that this problem does NOT affect playing audio CD's at all.  (and it shouldn't, actually).

// Roland Jay Roberts  -  Team OS/2  -
// Internet: jay@map.com
// FidoNet: Roland Roberts @ 1:321/305.5