Date:      Tue, 07 May 1996 20:47:50 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        khetan@iafrica.com (Khetan Gajjar), stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Going stable

> Khetan Gajjar stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I have been happy with 2.1 release for quite a while now. I want to see
> > where we are heading, and want to run stable. I have got the snapshot
> > cd-rom and want to install off there (as a dial-up user, I don't feel
> > like getting the tree or whatever it's called).
>
> The SNAP CD is based on -current.  You can't downgrade from the SNAP
> to -stable.

Well, not quite..  Don't forget that the SNAP CD has the CVS tree on it.
If he wants to get -stable, he can simply check a copy out of the CVS
tree, e.g.:

<copy CVS tree from CDROM to /someplace>
setenv CVSROOT /someplace
cd /usr
cvs co -rRELENG_2_1_0 src

The reason you need to copy it is that cvs is going to try to write
lock information into the repository and that will obviously fail
mightily if you point CVSROOT at the CD.

That will give you a copy of the -stable sources as of the CD pressing
date.

> > I know this is described in the ctm section of the handbook, but for a
> > newbie user, how do I go from release to stable using this cd-rom ?
>
> You don't.

Not on that SNAP, no, but future CDs will contain the -stable CTM tree
as well as the current ones.

But Mike's suggestion of reading the CTM section of the handbook is
still a very good idea! :-)

					Jordan