Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2017 16:45:31 +0000
From:      Santiago Martinez <sm@codenetworks.net>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 11.1 vmx + netmap queues

Hi list, hope you guys are doing well.

I have a basic question. Do you know if multiple TX queues are
supportedĀ  for vmx + netmap ?

Basically I'm using pkt-gen to generate bulk traffic @10Gbps and its OK
with packet size >~1000b.

For small packets I should use multiple cores/processes to be able to
generate the required pps, but pkg-gen complain that I have only one queue.

I tried adding multiple queues for vmx on loader.conf (can verify with
sysctl) but netmap still complaining there is only one queue.

sysctl -a | grep vmx.1:
dev.vmx.1.mbuf_load_failed: 0
dev.vmx.1.mgetcl_failed: 0
dev.vmx.1.defrag_failed: 0
dev.vmx.1.defragged: 0
dev.vmx.1.nrxqueues: 8
dev.vmx.1.ntxqueues: 4
dev.vmx.1.max_nrxqueues: 8
dev.vmx.1.max_ntxqueues: 4
dev.vmx.1.%parent: pci4
dev.vmx.1.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x15ad device=0x07b0 subvendor=0x15ad
subdevice=0x07b0 class=0x020000
dev.vmx.1.%location: slot=0 function=0 dbsf=pci0:11:0:0
handle=\_SB_.PCI0.PE50.S1F0
dev.vmx.1.%driver: vmx
dev.vmx.1.%desc: VMware VMXNET3 Ethernet Adapter

pkg-gen still saying one queue for vmx:

Sending on netmap:vmx1: 1 queues, 2 threads and 4 cpus.

Thanks in advance.

Santiago