Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:50:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Wood <wood@elec.uq.edu.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.1 freezing on dumps - 2940 problem ?

Hi - we are having problems with our 2.2.1-RELEASE system freezing
regularly, most notably when performing a level 0 dump.
We have 5 slices to back up and somewhere in dumping the third
slice (the first big one) it freezes - quite reliably :)

Sometimes we have to reboot it (reset switch),
sometimes it reboots itself immediately.

It has also crashed once on a lot of disk copying, and
some other times.

System specification:
Pentium 120
Triton P5I437P4/FMB chipset
Adaptec 2940W SCSI controller
SONY SDT-5000 SCSI DAT tape
2* SEAGATE ST15230W SCSI hard disks
Cirrus Logic 5430 PCI graphics card .

Going to 2.2.1 from GAMMA fixed a SCSI bus resetting -> crash
problem but this freezing thing persists.

I have tried GENERIC & custom kernels - both crash similarly.
(note: I have been running the system for about 1 1/2 yrs with
just a 2.1 system until 2.2-GAMMA. That never crashed. The system
only began crashing/freezing after my "upgrade").

The current system was created by running a "make world"
on the cvsup'd 2.2.1 source, along with a custom kernel recompilation.

I don't have anything to show for it in the logs -
(/var/log/messages).
Stuff like:
/kernel: sd1(ahc0:3:0): timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
no longer occurs since I upgraded to 2.2.1 .

I haven't tried kernel debugging or SCSIDEBUG stuff yet
partly because I know almost nothing about it, partly because
people want this machine up most of the time.

I think it's another adaptec 2940 driver problem, and am thinking
of trying the newest 2.2-RELENG source, but I don't know whether
that's really the problem, or if it is, whether it's recently been
fixed.

any advice appreciated,

thanks,

Ian Wood.  - wood@elec.uq.edu.au