Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:30:59 +1000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        Arun Welch <welch@anzus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCCARD Modem on Dell Inspiron

Hi Arun,

> I'm having some difficulty getting my pccard modem to work with my
> Inspiron 5000 under 4.1R. When I insert the card in the slot I get the
> following in /var/log/messages:
> Aug  2 18:07:06  /kernel: pccard: card inserted, slot 1
> Aug  2 18:07:17  /kernel: sio4 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 2 slot 1 on
> pccard1
> Aug  2 18:07:17  /kernel: sio4: type 16550A

Ok - what this is telling you in a round about way, is that there are
already 4 sio (==COM) ports configured inthe kernel - sio0 thru sio3.
The modem card is being added as sio4 (the 5th port).

> which corresponds to the following in /etc/pccard.conf
> # Simple Technologies
> card "Simple Technology" "Communicator"
>         config auto "sio2" 2
>         insert echo Simple Communicator inserted
>         remove echo Simple Communicator removed

No it doesn't ;') sio2!=sio4. Anyway, my guess is that there are either
only 1 or 2 serial ports onyou machine. I have a Latitude laptop, and it
has only _one_ real serial port. I've modified my kernel to remove sio1
thru 3, thus, when I have the modem pc-card installed, it comes up as
'sio1'.

> OK, now that it's in, I try to tip to /dev/cuaa3

well... if memory serves, sio4 would somehow related to /dev/cuaa4. But
anyway, what you appear to eventually want to do is have the modem come
up as sio2, which would be (I think, not 100% sure) also cuaa2.

hth,

haxxa