Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 01:44:30 +0100
From:      David Spreen <netzwurm@debian.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bug: No way to disable loading of agp.1 on boot?

Hey there,
I just tried to install freebsd 5.0RC3 on my laptop but the
mini-inst-iso kernel hangs before entering the install-screen.

The last two lines shown are (boot -v):

agp0: <Intel 82443BX (440BX) host to PCI bridge> mem 0-0x3ffffff at \
device 0.0 on pci0

agp0: allocating GATT for aperture of size 64M

Anyway, I don't need agpsupport for an installation-process, so I
tried to disable agp on boot-prompt.

I looked for a hint-variable but there doesn't seem to exist one.
anyway, lsmod shows agp.1 in the modules: section, so I thought about
disable the loading of that module.

Well, after an "unload; disable-module agp (which worked, he said he wouldn't
load it anymore); load kernel;" an lsmod still shows agp.1.

Is this a bug or can't I disable agp-support on installation cdroms?

The machine doesn't detect agp-devices when booting with boot-floppies, so
I think that should be possible with the cd too.

I am fairly new to freebsd and I read the documentation about hints and
also about the boot-prompt. Additionaly I asked google and dejagoogle for
this issue and got no help.

If I still left out a possibility I am sorry for making noise.

so long...

David