Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        michael@alderete.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, alderete@be.com
Subject:   Re: [HELP!] Crashing FreeBSD server with file system corruption

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Michael A. Alderete wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD-based web/ftp server that is crashing
> regularly, and the crashes are causing (caused by)file
> system corruption.

When reporting "crashes", if you get a kernel panic, AT MINUMUM you *must*
include the panic output.

If you can reproduce it, you should build a debugging kernel, turn dumps
on, cause a panic, and trace back the dump.  This points the finger at the
offending function.  The Handbook section on kernel debugging is highly
recommended.

For fun, I'd try using a singleprocessor kernel and see if it helps; I
doubt it will, but it's a good idea to eliminate possibilities.

Doug White