Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 17:28:49 +0800
From:      Yong Liu <yongliu@public.bta.net.cn>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Notebook Problem

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a Twinhead 9133TZ notebook PC w/ the
folloing configuration:

Pentium 133/16M Memory/1.3G HD

12.1" TFT Display (Supports 800x600 at 60Hz non-interlaced)
Trident Cyber 9385 card (2M memory)

I also have a NE-2000 compatible PCMCIA card inserted into slot 1 into
the PCMCIA dock. This dock has a Cirrus Logic PCMCIA controller
built-in.

The poblem I encountered are:

1. I could not make the PCMCIA recognized by FreeBSD. I reconfigured the
kernel to include the PCCARD controllers and devices according the LINT
config template. I also added the ed0 driver. It complains that
"/dev/card0 not configured." when I run the "pccardc" command. BTW, this
PCMCIA card really works fine under Win95. If changing the card may
overcome this problem, I have a D-Link DE650 PCMCIA ethernet card at
hand.

2. I have installed the XFree86 3.3.1 on my notebook. It runs good under
the VGA16 mode when I set the following config:

Video: VGA
Chipset: Generic
Card: Unsupported VGA
Monitor: Standard 640x480
H-Refresh: 35.4
V-Refresh: 50-90

If I set the chipset to cyber938x, the screen gets a very low resolution
with big dots.

I tried the following configuration too:

Video: SVGA
Chipset: cyber938x
Card: Trident TGUI9680 (generic)
Monitor: Extended Super VGA (800x600 at 60Hz ...)
H-Refresh: 31.5,35.4,...
V-Refresh: 50-130

An what I got was a black screen after the "startx" command. But when I
tried to switch between ttyv9 (graphic) and other ttys using the
"CTL-ALT-F?" key combinations, I could see the xterm and xclock windows
for a very short time (about 0.1 sec) and the screen went black again.

I have read all the on-line documents, readmes and tried almost anything
I could think out of.

Could anybody give me some hints on these strange stuff? Or is FreeBSD
is not so good as other free UNIX clones like Linux ? Your happy or bad
experiences with FreeBSD on a notebook are also highly welcomed.

Thank you in advance.