Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:10:33 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: troublesome log messages

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Ben Williams wrote:

> >  # dd if=/dev/wd0s1c of=/dev/null bs=64k
>
> The disk on that system are laid out like:
>
> $ mount
> /dev/wd0a on / (local)
> /dev/wd0s1e on /tmp (local)
>
> Will the slices interfere with the dd command? This is a production
> machine so I don't want to take any chances.

I shouldv'e explained this a bit further, sorry.

What you are trying to do with the dd command is read the entire disk and
look for i/o errors on the console.  The wd0s1c slice is the entire disk,
but I can't remember if just /dev/wd0 will also work.  Again, you are just
trying to cause FreeBSD to read every sector on the disk, ala scandisk.
It won't really affect the system, other than major seeking when other
procs do disk i/o.

If this is a production system, I strongly suggest you start backing up!
:-)

> $ uptime
>  6:41AM  up 28 days,  8:42, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
>
> Is this an acceptable uptime for that number of vm "faults"?

Depends on what the box does.  I don't think there is any correlation
between uptime and faults.

> Sure it's longer than I've ever managed to get an M$ product to run,

:-) too true!

> but it doesn't even come close to some of the uptimes I've had on
> other systems...

Uptimes are meaningless, or prove that you don't upgrade...

But I can't help it - this is the largest uptime of any of my boxes:

 9:06PM  up 360 days, 18:45, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

 257144160 total VM faults taken

It runs 2.2.7-release.  But enough spanking the monkey...

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas
    System Administrator